Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Clowder

We have finally spent a weekend in Madrid, after having traveled the past three weekends to Paris, Valencia, and Morocco.  It was super fun as everyone was here including some of our Vassar buds from France, Italy, and Greece!

On Wednesday, Greg arrived form Paris, and Rachel, he, and I went out for a welcome to Madrid dinner!

Thursday night we all went to Kapital, a 7-story dace club.  I left early so the following account is Rachel’s:
 A PreKapital Photo

         "Kapital was definitely an experience worth doing once.  We had the most fun doing karaoke on the second floor. I sang two songs with various friends: Human by the Killers (who apparently are MORMONS. Who knew.) and Circus by Britney Spears. The best surprise was that the Spaniards who had programmed the lyrics to the songs did not speak English well enough to handle that, and some of the words were hilariously wrong. Instead of “Are we human or are we dancer?” the screen read, “Are we human…or are we denser?” We died laughing on the stage. And during Circus, instead of saying “I run a tight ship,” it read, “I run a tifship.” WHAT is a tifship. I surely have no idea. The karaoke atmosphere was really fun because everyone in the room would sing along (with various international accents…the Germans were the funniest). 

After enjoying our one free drink, a few of us decided to go dance on the main floor. This was a pretty odd experience because the “music” was just a continuous throbbing beat which got pretty tiring after about 10 minutes. There was a stage in front of the main dance floor with a scantily clad man and woman doing very odd dances. Every few minutes a HUGE gust of wind blew over everything (to cool you off?) but it scared the crap out of me each time. I think the dance scene at Kapital was a little disappointing/overrated. I’m not going to hurry back any time soon. But I do love karaoke. Afterwards we walked to Sol and got chocolate con churros, the best way to end any night." 

And now back to me!

The next day we cultured ourselves with a visit to the Sorolla museum and a trip to the Temple of Debod.  Joaquin Sorolla is known as the painter of light.  His paintings are really awesome, here is one of my faves:

The Temple of Debod is an Egyptian temple that was saved form destruction by Spain and then transplanted here. 



Later on Friday Rachel and I and a few other lucky dicks (I apologize for the obscenity, but I made this hilarious typo and now need to share it with the virtual world because it is so ridiculous!) were invited to Heather’s house for her madre’s world famous paella.  It was so delish, and I am super jelly cat because I have been eating lentils and frozen food.  I impressed all with my champagne opening skills, AND I got to sit in a swively chair because of my enormous size!   For dessert we had flan with pomegranates.  It was one of the best meals of my life.


We brought our worldly friends and our program friends to our fave place…….. CASA DE CERVEZAAAA!!!  It was even better than usual but even better because it was decorated for Halloween.

On Saturday we went for Thai and then the Thyssen, a huge private collection museum with tons of famous works.  There was a special exhibit by Mario Testino a fashion photographer.  He photos were super guay.  We then went to our fave sangria/ piano bar, Las Cuevas del Sesamo where we transformed into a CLOWDER OF CATS and 1 pirate.  Did you know that a group of cats is called a clowder (did you also know that a group of gnu(s(?)) is called an implausibility? (this may not really be true, but it is funny anyway)) 

 There were more cats in our clowder not captured here

Yes, we were a clowder of cats, and Greg was a pirate.  I thought we all had great costumes for the night before Halloween (which is not even a real holiday here (haha the Halloween eve is not a holiday anywhere as it is already All Hallow's Eve, I mean that Halloween is not such a real holiday here).  

The Spanish interpretation of Halloween is much different.  Their costumes were SO SO SO SCARY!  Every one had either blood coming out of their ears or eyes, multiple and painful looking lacerations, or serial killer masks!  It was kind of like in Mean Girls, when Cady Heron (a foreigner) goes to a Halloween party dressed like a zombie bride (ex wife) and no one understands.  Well, here is it is opposite, the clowder of cats was not understood.  I think we were lacking in blood.

After las cuevas we went to another bar and then got some chocolate con churros!  Meow!

Sunday was a day of rest, but a night of no sleep!  The resurrected clowder plus some hula girls and light-up bunnies, went to a Spanish person’s house where we encountered, SURPRISE, more people in terrifying costumes.  By the end of introductions everyone was a little bloody from cheek kissing those gruesome Spaniards. 

After this we went to a triplely appropriate club named ZOMBIE! Here are the obvious reasons why it was fitting: 
1. it was HALLOWEEN (duh)
2. Zombies were everywhere
3. I left at 6 and was a zombie

Well anyway, that was pretty much all that happened this last weekend. BUT, here is something great and awesome!  I was just watching the news and a story about Bruce Springsteen came on!  I was so excited that I started speaking English! 

Tomorrow we take a speeding train to Sevilla!  
Hasta la Vista,
Hilary

P.S.  here is one of my fave pics of all time:

3 comments:

  1. You were certainly a lucky dick to get to "sit in a swively chair because of my enormous size!" - LMFAO.

    That chesty picture of Greg would be at home in that Testino exhibit.

    --Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola!! So you both always mention churros in your posts and so I was excited to finally learn what they are this weekend! I was in Florida at a debate tournament and my friend and I were talking to a Florida native. Then, out of nowhere this squirrel pops up and my friend was like "whoa that squirrel has a big cracker or something in his mouth!" and the guy was like "That's a churro; do you know what that is?" Now I do.
    - Leah :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg greg is so hot. sounds like a crazy halloween!

    ReplyDelete